In 2018, our new five-year strategic plan was presented at our bi-annual conference, and then to our AGM.
A key element of our plan is to tackle the underlying stereotypes and misunderstandings held by the public about stammering. The creative agency BBH worked with the British Stammering Association (BSA) to create a new brand campaign to launch this strategy. This campaign is called Stamma. BSA members voted for the new campaign with the British Stammering Association trading as Stamma. The charity's board of trustees then formally agreed that the BSA would use Stamma as its trading name.
A world where people who stammer can fulfil their potential and enjoy respect and consideration.
To support anyone who stammers in the UK and tackle the stigma, ignorance and discrimination that people who stammer face so that they can live their lives in full and with dignity.
We are a membership organisation with a diverse network, united by the experience of stammering and for people who stammer. We celebrate different voices. It is not our place to make judgements about if or how people choose to manage their stammer.
- We value collaboration. We work with others to give the greatest voice, best insights, most effective campaigns for people who stammer.
- We value community. We provide spaces for people to come together to support, learn, celebrate and campaign for change.
- We value the individual. We listen to personal stories, provide a platform for sharing and respect individual choices.
- We value diversity. We seek out and celebrate different voices, perspectives and experiences in respectful debate.
- We value openness. We are open in our dealings; selfless and generous spirited, honest and straightforward, professional but informal. We are unafraid and speak truth to power.
- To support more people who stammer in the UK. We are upgrading and expanding our helpline operation and want to add webchat to the service. We also want to increase our support for local groups and networks and help people who stammer get work and advance in work.
- To educate the public around stammering. We've got some baseline information about public awareness and understanding of the stammering. We will look at ways of tracking our impact year on year to see what impact we're having.
- To manage the BSA efficiently and effectively. Over the next five years we'll be upgrading our systems to ensure that your data is properly protected, the information and support we provide is the best it can be and that our staff are supported and work within a safe, managed environment.