Our catalogue of DVDs available to borrow. Find the names of the items you'd like from the lists below, then fill out the Library request form.
- UNDERSTANDING NEW GENETIC FINDINGS IN STUTTERING, with Dennis Drayna, Ph.D. This 72-minute DVD provides an update on recent research findings in the genetics of stammering. It discusses evidence for genetic factors in stammering, genes discovered to date, their function and what they tell us about underlying causes of stammering. Stuttering Foundation, 2017.
- A FRESH LOOK AT STUTTERING, Stuttering Foundation of America, 2016. "This 24-minute video follows adults who stutter through their gradual, emotional transformation. They discover the paradox that by accepting and embracing their stuttering rather than hiding it they achieve more fluent communication." Excerpts on YouTube.
- STOTTERS, Joke Nyssen. Sophimages, n.d. This remarkable film, by the stammerer's sister, and made from 150 hours of footage filmed over 2 years,shows how someone with a severe stammer learns to gain control and gain a place in society. In Dutch with English subtitles.
- CLUTTERING Myers, Florence & St. Louis, Kenneth. "This DVD features people who clutter and clearly illustrates the essence of cluttering as well as the problems that often accompany it." Stuttering Foundation of America, 2012.
- THE KID'S SPEECH. BBC documentary following the stories of three children who live with a stammer but who decide to embark on an intensive speech therapy course at the Michael Palin Centre in London. 2011.
- OUTSPOKEN, TAG Theatre, British Stammering Association Scotland. DVD based on a drama about the challenges of stammering in adolescence. It describes the experience of Danny, a first year High School pupil who stammers. 2009.
- MESSAGE TO A STUTTERER and NO WORDS TO SAY (1 DVD) "Message to a Stutterer" (34 minutes) is a documentary tribute to eminent American psychologist Joseph Sheehan who ran the stammering clinic at the University of California for 35 years. It comprises archive footage of research, experimentation, lectures and TV appearances outlining avoidance reduction therapy. 'No Words to Say' (56 minutes): filmed at UCLA's stammering clinic, students share their personal experiences - their fears, failures, and triumphs.
- TRANSCENDING STUTTERING: THE INSIDE STORY, Dr Phillip Schneider. An intimate journey into seven lives of people who stammer as they travel from fear and isolation to a position of courage, strength and freedom of speech. National Stuttering Association, 2007. Feature film 28 min, plus 90 min of personal journeys. (You can also watch this 28-minute film on Vimeo).
- UNSPEAKABLE - John Paskievich (89 minutes). This documentary, intended both for the general public and people who stammer, examines the nature, history and treatment of stammering. It also looks at how successful therapy can be, both for children and adults. National Film Board of Canada, 2006. External link to 'Unspeakable' interview.
- IF YOU STUTTER: ADVICE FOR ADULTS This 55-minute DVD provides insight and inspiration for those who stammer. A variety of therapy techniques are demonstrated, including stammerers' attitudes about speech and transferring skills into the real world. There is a section for teenagers too. Stuttering Foundation of America.
- AVOIDANCE WORKSHOP (hosted by Daniel Bell). This workshop formed part of the BSA Open Day in London in 2010, and illustrates ways of dealing with avoidance problems in stammering. British Stammering Association, 2010.
- THE ONE SHOW, BBC. During the show Dr Kate Watkins, from St. Anne's College, Oxford, explains how brain imaging during stammering is helping to identify various parts of the brain that appear different when stammering is in progress. BBC, 2011.
- THE KING'S SPEECH (2011) Dir Tom Hooper. The attempts by King George VI to alleviate his stammer with the help of the Australian speech therapist Lionel Logue. Some of it is fiction but the film contains strong factual elements. Momentum Pictures.
- ROCKET SCIENCE (2008) Dir Jeffrey Blitz. A 15-year-old boy in an American school trying to combat a stammer, and the emotional effects this has on him.
- LIAM (2000) Dir Stephen Frears, Jimmy McGovern (screenwriter). A passionate film drama, suitable for those aged 15+, set in Liverpool in the depression years. The story revolves around Liam, a small boy who stammers. BBC Films.
For children & teens
- STUTTERING: FOR KIDS BY KIDS. Meet Swish and his young friends. They talk about stuttering, teasing, what helps and how to teach others about stuttering. Features cartoon animation and real children in an engaging and lively video. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2004. 12 minutes. You can also watch the video on the SFA website.
- STUTTERING: STRAIGHT TALK FOR TEENS by the Stuttering Foundation of America. This 30-minute DVD is narrated by an American high school students who stammer, and provides good advice both on the general nature of stammering and the problems faced by secondary school students. 2010. You can also watch the video on the SFA website.
- BEAT IT, Channel 5. This documentary features a 13-year-old boy taking part in the Starfish Project course. It was broadcast on 26th June 2007.
- SEVEN TIPS FOR TALKING WITH THE CHILD WHO STUTTERS, 'This DVD features some of the world's leading hands-on therapists offering practical strategies parents can use at home to support their young child's communication skills and build confidence.' You can also watch it online here. Stuttering Foundation, 2014.
- KIDS WHO STUTTER: PARENTS SPEAK, Stuttering Foundation 2014. 'In this 16-minute DVD, parents of children who stutter join a group of speech and language therapists to talk compassionately and directly about what has worked for them as they interact with their child.' You can also watch it online here.
- THE KID'S SPEECH, BBC, 2011. Documentary following three children who stammer as they take a course at the Michael Palin Centre. Broadcast in October 2011.
- STAMMER SCHOOL, BBC, 2011. BBC2 documentary, long-gone from iPlayer, follows children at the Michael Palin Centre. Read a contemporary review from The Guardian here.
- THE SCHOOL-AGE CHILD WHO STUTTERS, An overview of concerns associated with children who stammer at school; includes therapy in action.
- STUTTERING AND YOUR CHILD: HELP FOR PARENTS from the Stuttering Foundation of America. (30 minutes, colour.) This DVD deals with the problems met by parents when their children first begin to stammer, describes what factors put a child at risk and deals with treatment, showing therapy in action. In English and Spanish. You can also watch the video online on the SFA website here:
- TOM'S STORY: THE LIDCOMBE PROGRAM OF EARLY STUTTERING INTERVENTION, Australian Stuttering Research Centre. This 20-minute film is suitable for parents and speech and language therapists, although it is not intended to be used for training purposes. It provides an introduction to the way that the Lidcombe Program is used with pre-school children. It includes contributions by Mark Onslow, Director of the Australian Stuttering Research Centre, Vanessa Harris, a practicising Speech Pathologist, and Lucy, the mother of a pre-school aged child. 2007. (NTSC format - might not play in all DVD players.)
- TIME TO TALK: HOW TO HELP CHILDREN WHO STAMMER, Association for Research into Stammering in Childhood. c1990.
- WAIT, WAIT, I'M NOT FINISHED YET by the Michael Palin Centre. This DVD, featuring 2 films of children who stammer (longer and shorter version), is intended to raise awareness across the educational world about the problems in school of children and young people who stammer. This resource is the outcome of the Stammering Information Programme launched in October 2009.
- TEASING AND BULLYING: UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR PROGRAM (Book & DVD), Marilyn Langevin. This book, with DVD attached, provides guidance for teachers, children and parents on how to cope with the unacceptable behaviour of teasing and bullying, both at school and in other environments. Istar, 2000.
- STUTTERING: STRAIGHT TALK FOR TEACHERS, 3rd edition. Students who stutter talk to teachers about their experiences. Kristin Chmela and Bill Murphy answer questions and offer expert advice about what works in the classroom. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2009. 20 minutes. (You can also watch the video on the SFA website here.)
- NAHT ANNUAL CONFERENCE 2009, short BSA video for National Association of Head Teachers conference.
- SCHOOL TALK, Communications Forum. Designed to assist the whole school team in creating an environment which supports the needs of children with communication difficulties in mainstream school at key stage 2 (ages 7-11). Includes a 30-minute DVD, and a CD-ROM containing trainer's manual, overheads and participant's notes. 2006.
For Speech & Language Therapists
- UNDERSTANDING NEW GENETIC FINDINGS IN STUTTERING, with Dennis Drayna, Ph.D. This 72-minute DVD provides an update on recent research findings in the genetics of stammering. It discusses evidence for genetic factors in stammering, genes discovered to date, their function and what they tell us about underlying causes of stammering. Stuttering Foundation 2017.
- CLUTTERING, Florence Myers & Kenneth St. Louis. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2012. "This DVD features people who clutter and clearly illustrates the essence of cluttering as well as the problems that often accompany it."
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGY OF STUTTERING, Martin Sommer. In this 50-minute presentation, Martin Sommer gives an overview of essential neurophysiological findings that improve our understanding of the pathophysiology of stuttering. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2012. (Clips on YouTube.)
- TOOLS FOR SUCCESS: A COGNITIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY TASTER, Frances Cook & Willie Botterill. Highlights from a workshop run by the authors providing valuable insights into working with the cognitive aspects of stuttering. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2009.
- SCORING DYSFLUENCIES, Diane Fillion Parris. In this DVD, clinicians are trained to differentiate between the various types of dysfluencies, code them, and analyse the data accordingly. Stutteirng Foundation of America, 2010.
- STUTTERING: BASIC CLINICAL SKILLS, Stuttering Foundation. Demonstrates speech management strategies to help work effectively with both children and adults who stammer. 2007, 128 minutes.
Children & young people
- HELP CHILDREN MAKE SPEECH CHANGE, by Patricia Zebrowski. In this 153-minute DVD, Dr Patricia Zebrowski describes how to teach school-age children to make speech change using Dean Williams's Normal Talking Approach as a foundation. Stuttering Foundation, 2015.
- HELPING CHILDREN CHANGE THOUGHTS & FEELINGS ABOUT COMMUNICATION, with Vivian Sisskin. Stuttering Foundation 2014. In this 2 hours 55 minute DVD, clinicain Vivian Siskin presents a multi-dimensional approach to help children address the thoughts and feelings that sometimes co-exist with stuttering.
- EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE AND PRACTICE-BASED EVIDENCE: CLOSING THE GAP, Nan Ratner. In this 62-minute DVD, Dr Ratner suggests that there is no single best approach to the treatment of a particular type of client, and that we need to search out and integrate many sources of evidence in our treatment. Stuttering Foundation, 2012.
- STUTTERING 101, Barry Guitar. This 71-minute DVD is a tool for clinicians who work with the school-age child who stutters. It includes stuttering modification and fluency shaping and key concepts associated with them. Stuttering Foundation, 2011. The child who stutters: Practical ideas for the school clinician series.
- ADHD AND CHILDREN WHO STUTTER, Joseph Donaher. In this 54-minute presentation, Dr Donaher introduces the clinical aspects of ADHD and discusses clinical management accommodations that may improve therapeutic outcomes for children with ADHD who stammer. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2011. (Clip on YouTube.)
- STUTTERING INTERVENTION FOR TEENS, by Patricia Zebrowski. This 90-minute DVD is particularly aimed at the clinician dealing with adolescents and includes information about motor and mental training, plus a discussion of emotions related to stammering at this age. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2011.
- IMPLEMENTING COGNITIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY WITH SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN, Stuttering Foundation, 2010. This 1 hour, 40 minute DVD uses cognitive behaviour therapy to help children change their thoughts and feelings about stammering, and test their beliefs about listener reactions.
- MOVING FROM ASSESSMENT TO INTERVENTION PLANNING, Sheryl Gottwald. This presentation provides a framework for developing interventions for preschool children who stammer and their families. Stuttering Foundation, 2010.
- NEW DIMENSIONS IN PARENT COUNSELLING, David M. Luterman. This DVD is divided into 2 parts: Group Therapy with Parents (101 minutes) and Therapists' Review of the Parents' Session (87 minutes) and shows David Luterman facilitating a group of parents of children who stutter. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2010.
- ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT OF CHILDHOOD STUTTERING. Edward Conture. This DVD discusses the current, data-based approaches to the assessment and treatment of preschool-age children who stammer. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2010.
- WORKING WITH PRESCHOOLERS WHO STUTTER: SUCCESSFUL INTERVENTION STRATEGIES, by Kristin A. Chmela. This one-hour and 45-minute DVD, with accompanying booklet, offers practical strategies for working with very young children who stammer. Its structured approach aims to involve parents in the process. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2010.
- THE SCHOOL CLINICIAN: WAYS TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE, Peter Ramig. This 84-minute DVD is designed to be an ideal tool for clinicians who work with the school-age child who stammers. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2010.
- DEALING WITH GUILT AND SHAME, Bill Murphy. This 89-minute DVD is intended for the clinician who works with school-age children who stammer. It includes: Why Thoughts and Emotions Are Important; Stuttering Triangle; Essental Tools and Paper and Pencil Tasks; Portfolio Assessment; Therapy for Reducing Negative Thoughts; Shame vs. Guilt; Keys to Progress. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2009.
- A MULTIDIMENSIONAL APPROACH TO ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT, E. Charles Healey. This 73-minute DVD is intended for clinicians who work with school-age children who stammer. It deals in detail with the CALMS model of stammering. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2009.
- COUNSELLING THE PARENTS OF CHILDREN WHO STUTTER, Patricia Zebrowski. This DVD covers very widely the emotional problems that parents of children who stammer often have to face. Stuttering Foundation, 2008.
- COUNSELLING: LISTENING TO AND TALKING WITH PARENTS OF CHILDREN WHO STUTTER, Stuttering Foundation of America. In this 50-minute DVD, many noted clinicains demonstrate and discuss strategies for counseling parents in all stages of the treatment process. 2007.
- TOM'S STORY: THE LIDCOMBE PROGRAM OF EARLY STUTTERING INTERVENTION, Australian Stuttering Research Centre. This 20 minute film is suitable for parents and speech and language therapists, although it is not intended to be used for training purposes. It provides an introduction to the way that the Lidcombe Program is used with pre-school children. It includes contributions by Mark Onslow, Director of the Australian Stuttering Research Centre, Vanessa Harris, a practicising Speech Pathologist, and Lucy, the mother of a pre-school aged child. 2007. (NTSC format - might not play in all DVD players.)
- DEALING EFFECTIVELY WITH ATTITUDES AND EMOTIONS, by Kristin A. Chmela. Designed to help clinicians who work with school-age children who stammer. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2005.
- AVOIDANCE REDUCTION THERAPY IN A GROUP SETTING, Vivian Sisskin. In this 2-hour DVD, Vivian Siskin 'walks clinicians through methods of group therapy while providing the nuts and bolts of Avoidance Reduction Therapy'. As well as a tutorial for SLTs, the DVD can serve as a self-primer for people who stammer.
- ADULT STUTTERING THERAPY, Charles Van Riper. This single DVD, over 6 hours long, reproduces all of Van Riper's classic series of 9 videotapes (below) on this subject. They depict the management of stammering from the evaluation interview, through 7 therapy sessions, to both one-year and 20-year follow-up. Stuttering Foundation of America, 2013.
- MESSAGE TO A STUTTERER and NO WORDS TO SAY. (1 DVD) Includes "Message to a Stutterer" (34 minutes), a documentary tribute to eminent American psychologist Joseph Sheehan who ran the stammering clinic at the University of California for 35 years. It comprises archive footage of research, experimentation, lectures and TV appearances outlining avoidance reduction therapy. In "No Words to Say" (56 minutes), filmed at UCLA's stammering clinic, students share their personal experiences - their fears, failures, and triumphs. (Video cassette. Alternatively, we have 'Message to a stutterer' as a videotape).