Finding a NHS therapist

Man talking with a doctor

To find out about speech therapy for you, your child, a relative or friend, contact your local National Health Service (NHS) speech & language therapy department, as explained below. NHS therapy is free, but you will need to be registered with a GP.

Search online

Most NHS speech & language services have their details online. If you're looking for help for your child, go onto Google and search for 'Children NHS speech and language therapy + the name of your area'.

For yourself, a family member or friend, do a Google search for 'Adult/teenage NHS speech and language therapy + the name of your area'.

Or we can do this for you  just ring our helpline free on 0808 802 0002 (weekdays 10am-12noon & 6pm-8pm) or email

Once you've found details of your local NHS service, you can normally make the referral yourself by phoning or emailing them for an appointment, or completing a form online. You will need to give your name, address, date of birth and GP details. You may be told to ask your GP to make the referral for you.

What if there is no NHS service where I live?

Unfortunately in some areas there is no NHS speech & language therapy service available.

If you're an adult who stammers based in the UK and you've been told there isn't a local service, you can access Teletherapy. This is speech & language therapy via video call. For more information, and for details on how to apply for this service, see our Teletherapy page.

See what other courses and options are available on the Specialist Services section. Or, read our information about 'Going private' below if you're looking for private speech & language therapy (ie not on the NHS).

Psychological therapies service

The NHS also provides psychological therapies for people experiencing stress, anxiety or depression. Please note this is separate from stammering therapy services. It is only available if you live in England and are registered with a GP. Visit the NHS website to find out more.

Going Private

If you can afford it, private therapy might be an option for you.  

You can find a private speech & language therapist through the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (tel: 0203 002 3704). It's important to find a therapist with experience in working with stammering by using the 'Advanced search'.

The fee for an initial assessment is likely to be in the region of £85 to £120. Ongoing therapy sessions are likely to be in the region of £50 to £70 per session.

Become a member. Connect with others locally & online. Volunteer, donate & share your story to inspire others.